On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 6:34 PM, Noven <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 13:03:55 Kevin O'Gorman wrote:

>> > From what I've experienced, the order you emerge vmware-workstation and
>> > vmware-modules is important. When getting the error you mention, a simple
>> > re-emerge of vmware-modules did the job.
>>
>> This did not help.
>>
>> I tried downloading VMWare-workstation, but the emerge fails on fetch
>> restrictions,
>> and the message points to a file on a server that denies it has such a
>> file.
>>
>> The workstation bundle runs an installer that wants a runlevel
>> directory, but rejects
>> the /etc/runlevels directory and subdirectories.  I'm guessing it
>> wants something
>> more like SYSV.
>
> In your /etc dir, link rc{0-6}.d and rcS.d to /etc/init.d .
>
> Also ensure vmware-modules is *not* installed before running the installer
> bundle.
>
> Can't remember if I did anythig else tricky, but its workig beautifully here.
>
> - Noven

Okay, now it installs okay, and I can modprobe vmmon.

However, "vmware" gives me:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $ vmware
/usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware-modconfig: symbol lookup error:
/usr/lib/vmware/lib/libview.so.2/libview.so.2: undefined symbol:
_ZThn8_N3Gtk4HBoxD1Ev
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $

And I have absolutely no clue what that's about.

++ kevin

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD