On December 4, 2008, Christian Franke wrote:
> I just don't see what blocking ssh-bruteforce attempts should be good
> for, at least on a server where few _users_ are active.

Considering how much creative paranoia I've exposed in this thread it might
come as a surprise, but I do agree with the above statement. Strong passwords
(or key-only authentication) would prevent brute-force attacks from being
successfull. The only thing that is semi-usefull side-effect is that you can
identify compromised machines and deny ANY type of traffic from them
preventing possible DoS launched against you. But then IPs are so easy to
spoof :) Balance is what makes sysadmin comfortable enough and doesn't
compromise usability of the server, so everybody decides for themselves. OP
obviously wants that "extra" layer of protection and notification so with a
bit of creativity and some external tools it's possible to achieve. As long
as he doesn't forget about other aspects of security - he should do just fine
with all those extra measures :)

--
Dmitry Makovey
Web Systems Administrator