On Thursday 11 December 2008 00:34:24 Harry Putnam wrote:
> > Why do you think you need an initramfs at all? It's usually only
> > needed in very rare cases where either a driver for storage hardware
> > is needed which is not part of the kernel itself or some user space
> > things need to be done to even setup the root device before the
> > system can be booted from it (i.e. when it's encrypted).
>
> I don't want it.  I've never felt a need for initramfs before.
> However with this vmware appliance.  I am just keeping the original
> setup because any of my attempts to compile a newer kernel and ditch
> the initramfs have failed in the way I mentioned.
>
> Apparently some basic driver or such had been missing in all my
> attempts.   even running `make' using the same `.config' that works, has
> resulted in the same failure.... the boot routine sees the root
> /dev/sdb3 and an invalid device.

You are running it in vmware right?

Your disk type, disk adapters type and chipset in a vmware vm are NOT the same
as these device on the physical hardware. vmware emulates a BX440 chipset,
SCSI drives and LSI or BusLogic adapter. You must use those drivers, not the
drivers for the physical hardware. Then everything should JustWork(tm) as the
rest of your hardware is presented as-is via the hypervisor.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com