On 2008-12-11, Mick <michaelkintz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I would like to set up a VPN connection to a router which is using IKE &
> IPsec:  http://www.ciscopress.com/articles/article.asp?p=25474&seqNum=7
>
> Would I be able to achieve this using OpenVPN on my gentoo box?

AFAICT, no.  OpenVPN uses SSL/TLS.

> I read the IPsec HowTo and scared myself to death (it seems
> long enough to warrant me taking time off work to read it . .
> . and at least another day to try it ;)

You might want to have a look at the OpenVPN docs, but my
understanding is that OpenVPN isn't compatible with IPSec/IKE.
>From the OpenVPN FAQ:

    OpenVPN's security model can be summarized as such: Use the
    IPSec ESP protocol for tunnel packet security, but then
    drop IKE in favor of SSL/TLS for session authentication.
    This allows for a lightweight, portable VPN implementation
    that draws on IPSec's strengths, without introducing the
    complexity of IKE.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! FOOLED you!  Absorb
                                  at               EGO SHATTERING impulse