On Thursday 11 December 2008, 22:08, Mick wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I would like to set up a VPN connection to a router which is using IKE
> & IPsec:
> http://www.ciscopress.com/articles/article.asp?p=25474&seqNum=7
>
> Would I be able to achieve this using OpenVPN on my gentoo box?

Unfortunately not, openvpn is mostly a software-only product until now
and is not found in hardware appliances like routers or firewalls (at
least as far as I know).

> I read the IPsec HowTo and scared myself to death (it seems long enough
> to warrant me taking time off work to read it . . . and at least
> another day to try it ;)

Yes, Ipsec can be a nightmare. For connecting to cisco, try using vpnc
(perhaps with kvpnc if you're under kde) which should work reasonably
well. Both programs are in portage.
kvpnc also acts as a single interface to handle various kinds of vpn
connections (including openvpn, ipsec, pptp (to connect to some
microsoft-based servers) and others).