I did a recent emerge -uDNav world and most of my gnome packages are 2.24
now.2 issues:
1) Logout, shutdown, restart commands from gnome menu don't seem to be
working. Nothing happens, no menu appears. Same goes for using the Power
button applet.

I can manually log myself out, of course, by doing "killall gnome-session"
but that can't possibly be the Right Thing (tm). :)

2) The Lock Screen command, however, works and sends me to my screensaver.
However, when I move the mouse and the password dialog reappears, the
background is the default green splashscreen that comes with a new user.
Weird. I don't know where to hunt to change the lock screen background, and
I was pretty sure it was supposed to just be gnome-screensaver with a dialog
on top.

3) While I'm at it, does anyone know a way to get the "random pictures"
screen saver to select a specific folder without making a folder mess in my
home folder called Pictures? I have my own sorting scheme of things and it's
getting to me, also I don't want all of my pictures flying out on the
screensaver ;D