On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 3:49 PM, Mark Knecht <markkne...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 3:25 PM, Mark Knecht <markkne...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> You may want to add the printer again in CUPS, this time using a better
>>> name. The CUPS web interface doesn't provide for renaming printers,
>>> so either re-install it or try editing /etc/cups/printers.conf. I've not
>>> tried the latter,but I expect it would work if you stopped cupsd first.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Neil Bothwick
>>>

>> Just finished doing that. Now lpr -P HP1600 file.name works fine.
>>
>> Still looking for info on this <RAW print queue> thing.
>>
>> I've tried adding a printer on my Vista laptop using Willie's
>> suggested setup but so far it doesn't contact the Linux printer.
>> Probably I need the RAW thing setup before that will work.
>>
>> - Mark
>>

> OK, now I'm thinking that maybe the <RAW> stuff Willie was talking
> about is accomplished by uncommenting the two lines in the
> mime.conv/types files.
>
> I set up a network printer from my Windows XP box pointing at the
> Linux Cups server. I told Windows it was an Apple Laserwriter II NT. I
> couldn't find a Generic Postscript printer listed. I asked Windows to
> print a generic printer test page an out popped what I was looking for
> - A Windows XP Printer Test Page. I then tried to print an email and
> the printer is complaining about ink in the cartridge. Ain't that
> always the way it works? ;-)
>
> So, definite headway. I've now printed B&W at least.
>
> Thanks all,
> Mark

I switched to the Adobe generic postscript driver and now it works, at
least from XP. I got the Adobe driver here.

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=44&platform=Windows

Samba is not used and is not running.

I'll test Vista later but it's not clear that this driver works on
Vista at all so that may be a bit dodgy. We'll see.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

Cheers,
Mark