On 09:39 Wed 17 Dec     , Gregory SACRE wrote:
> Hi Man,
>

> I was a huge fan of FVWM (loved the flexibility of it) and I tried to
> switch to awesome.
> After trying a bit to understand how the configuration script work
> (about three days in my spare time), I understood how awesome (this
> one was easy :-p) this wm is.
> You can do pretty much what you want as the configuration script,
> which is using the Lua script language, can load system commands (such
> as conky, even thought I couldn't get it to work, but used native lua
> scripts with the wicked.lua library) or run native code (I use this to
> see the disk space, mpd songs, battery life, cpu usage with a graph,
> ...).
Sounds great but when i customize the file and save it in
"~/.config/awesome/rc.lua" and reload, nothing seems to happen. I am
trying to get working with awesome-3.1. Am i missing anything.

> One of the other things I really like in awesome, it's the fact that
> you can mix up tiling windows and floating ones. You can define, for
> certain window titles in the configuration file, the fact that they
> are floating. Then, when you start them, they appear as floating
> windows and not tiled as the rest of them. This is pretty much
> interesting for applications such as Skype, gitk, mplayer, ...
> As for other tiling wm, you can also assign tags (sort of virtual
> desktops) to window titles so when you start it, it goes directly
> there, leaving your actual tag clean with what you were doing.

That is a required feature because some stupid programs dont go well
with the tiling concept. Another neat feature i found in default xmonad
was the fact that there was no gap between adjacent windows. I am sure
awesome should be able to do that as well, just that the default conf
doesnt. But, then again i really haven't dug in.

--

Regards,
Man Shankar <man.ee.gen(at)gmail.com>