On Thursday 18 December 2008 15:48:25 Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 2:24 AM, Peter Humphrey
>
> <pe...@humphrey.ukfsn.org> wrote:
> > On Tuesday 16 December 2008 21:48:50 Willie Wong wrote:
> >> Basically you just need
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > What else do we need if the printer is an HP DJ4260? This seems to need
> > net-print/hplip installed, but I haven't been able to get this working;
> > it seems I haven't resolved a misconfiguration between hplip and cups.
>
>    Is the DJ4260 accessible on the cups server using the LPR -P <NAME>
> command?

Yes; see below.

>    If so, are you attempting to print from Vista or XP?

So far I haven't even got Linux printing working; I wanted to succeed with
that before trying from XP on my laptop.

I've just restored a whistle-clean basic system to the server. Cups is
installed, but not hplip. I set these values in cupsd.conf:

# Allow remote access
Listen *:631
Listen /var/run/cups/cups.sock
# Share local printers on the local network.
Browsing On
BrowseOrder allow,deny
BrowseAddress @LOCAL    # I don't know what this expands to
DefaultAuthType Basic
<Location />
  # Allow shared printing...
  Order allow,deny
  Allow localhost
  Allow 192.168.2.*     # Wired net including cups server host
  Allow 192.168.3.*     # Wireless net, connecting via gateway
  Deny all
</Location>
<Location /admin>
  Encryption Required
  Order allow,deny
  Allow localhost
  Allow 192.168.2.6     # Workstation, allowed to administer
</Location>
<Location /admin/conf>
  AuthType Default
  Require user @SYSTEM
  Order allow,deny
  Allow localhost
  Allow 192.168.2.6
</Location>

These are the USE flags I installed CUPS with:

[ebuild   R   ] net-print/cups-1.3.9-r1  USE="acl dbus jpeg pam perl png
python ssl tiff
-X -avahi -gnutls -java -kerberos -ldap -php -ppds -samba -slp -static -xinetd
-zeroconf"
LINGUAS="en -de -es -et -fr -he -id -it -ja -pl -sv -zh_TW"

Next I start the printers and use the Find New Printers function of the CUPS
Web page to find them. While adding the Deskjet I select the generic
deskjet driver that CUPS offers, and the process reports successful
addition of the printer. However, when I ask for a test page, it's sent but
never arrives. I get a 15%-complete status notified on the Web page, and
that's all that happens.

This is all via use of the CUPS Web pages, either by running Links on the
server, or by running Firefox on the workstation with https://<server>:631.

And yes, to answer your accessibility question:

# lpr -P HP_Deskjet_D4200_series_USB_2 /usr/share/cups/data/testprint.ps
# lpq -P HP_Deskjet_D4200_series_USB_2
HP_Deskjet_D4200_series_USB_2 is ready and printing
Rank    Owner   Job     File(s)                         Total Size
active  anonymo 1       Test Page                       17408 bytes
1st     root    2       testprint.ps                    17408 bytes

Job 1 in this list is the page I sent from the Web page; job 2 is the one
sent from the command line. Nothing ever appeared on the printer.

I've tried "Allow 192.168.2.0/29" in place of "Allow 192.168.2.*"; the
result is the same.

--
Rgds
Peter