Mick wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 December 2008, Dale wrote:
>
>> Mark Knecht wrote:
>>

>> I know I had webmin installed for a long time but rarely used it.  I
>> just couldn't remember if I used it for setting up printing from windoze
>> or not.
>>

> A friend is running webmin on a server and it makes setting up some services
> (like CUPS) easier to visualise/understand.  However, the login into webmin
> is set up with the root passwd.  This on an Internet facing port is making me
> nervous, but he is sooo attached to GUI solutions I cannot convince him that
> ssh is all he needs.  Is there a way to only allow logins as a plain user and
> then elevate privileges to root (just like you would su on the CLI
> sort-of-thing)?

I haven't read the other replies but here is my thinking.  Start the
webmin service, change/setup what ever needs doing then shut down
webmin.  That was how I did it.  That way it is only up for a few
minutes and I never had to have webmin running to keep the other
services working.

Your mileage may vary tho.

Dale

:-)  :-)