On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 12:13:40PM -0800, Penguin Lover Grant squawked:
> It looks like I have 620GB free on this 1TB disk.  From what I've
> read, formatting eats up about 7%, and I had 250Gb worth of data.
> Does that mean about 60GB are being reserved for root?

If you used ext2/ext3 with mke2fs, the default is 5% reserved. If you
put the whole disk in one partition, than that works out to be just
about 50G. I don't know what you use the disk for, but it seems a bit
silly to have a 1TB disk in just 1 partition for the entire system and
waste 50G this way. Even just splitting the root and home partitions
would be nice. I mean, all system files, the portage tree, and the
distfiles should fit into 50G with no problem, having a 50G reserved
space really is silly.

Furthermore, if this disk is NOT a system disk, but just one for
data... then I ask, what's the point of leaving reserve space for
root?

Will will will unless Will wills willingly. Maybe Willow
   ~tiredwired. Sunday Oct. 6. 6:00pm
Sortir en Pantoufles: up 743 days, 20:41