On 22 Dec 2008, at 18:23, Steven Susbauer wrote:
Stroller wrote:
... Mailers should default to plain text
unless the user explicitly chooses otherwise.
Mailers should also default to useful column sizes, which seem to have
failed in the case of your last message.

Keith Moore's [1] "Recipient-Friendly MIME generation" seems to suggest otherwise [2]:

   Use the format=flowed option for typed-in text.

   The format=flowed option (RFC 2646) is an extension to text/plain
   that allows the sending mail user agent to represent unbroken,
   wrappable text differently from text which is intended to be
   represented as-is (without wrapping). It is also designed to be
   readable on legacy mail readers that don't support format=flowed.

   One advantage of format=flowed is that "wrappable" text can be
   wrapped to suit the width of the recipient's display or output
medium - whether it's a big screen or a little PDA. Another advantage
   of format=flowed is that it works better with quotations, especially
   when those quotations must be wrapped.

I hesitated before posting this, fearing that I would get slapped for promoting the use of MIME on mailing lists. However when I check it appears that "virtually all human-written Internet e-mail and a fairly large proportion of automated e-mail is transmitted via SMTP in MIME format. Internet e-mail is so closely associated with the SMTP and MIME standards that it is sometimes called SMTP/MIME e-mail." [3]

Sections 4.1 & 4.2 of RFC 3676 [4], superseding RFC 2646 deal with the MIME "Format" parameter and its value "flowed". I assume the IETF to be authoritative on this, but please feel free to educate me.

Stroller.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Moore
[2] http://www.cs.utk.edu/~moore/opinions/mime-style.html
[3] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIME