On Wednesday 24 December 2008, Peter Humphrey wrote:
> On Wednesday 24 December 2008 00:03:46 Mick wrote:
> > If you are using SSL certificates you must set up the correct domain
> > name, with regards to what the client machines see on the intranet/LAN.
> > Clearly the IP address is not a FQDN and the certificate check fails.
> > So, you want your common name (CN = serv.ethnet or whatever) to be the
> > same with the name that your server is seen by the client in the LAN and
> > this may involve setting up your router to resolve serv.ethnet to
> > 192.168.2.2, or adding an entry in your client's /etc/hosts file to this
> > effect.
>
> I'm not using SSL certificates, or not as far as I know.

Well, if you are getting security error messages about security certificates
as per your previous email, I would think that you have inadvertently perhaps
configured SSL connections to your CUPS server?

> Every host on the
> LAN has serv.ethnet in its hosts file, and dnsmasq on the gateway also
> knows about it - of course. The problem is not in name resolving. Both the
> cups server and the box running the Web browser are on the same LAN
> segment. I've just checked all the boxes' hosts files and they're all
> correct.

It could still be a machine naming issue if you are pointing your client to
e.g. http://192.168.2.2:631 instead of http://serv.ethnet:631 - which is what
I suspect the SSL certificate's CN record shows.  Either way - if you disable
authentication with SSL this problem will go away.
--
Regards,
Mick