On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 7:39 AM, Peter Humphrey <pe...@humphrey.ukfsn.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> As it's the New Year, perhaps it's time to resume banging my head on this
> wall again.
>
> I have a server with two printers connected, set up using the cups Web page
> and operating properly. Now I want to send print jobs to them from my
> workstation, which is on the same network, and with the same version of
> cups: 1.3.9-r1. One of the printers is an HP Deskjet D4260, so I also have
> hplip version 2.8.6b installed on both machines. I can connect either
> printer to either machine and print locally without any problems.
>
> However, I cannot get anything to print over the network. If, on the
> workstation, I declare the network laser printer and connect to it, all
> appears to work until I send a print job to it; the job sits in the lp
> queue locally, and when I next look at the status of the printer it
> says "Destination printer does not exist!"
>
> If I try to set up the Deskjet as a remote printer in the local cups server,
> I get "Filter "foomatic-rip" for printer "HP_Deskjet_D4260" not available:
> No such file or directory".
>
> I don't know what to try next. Anyone any idea here?
>
> --
> Rgds
> Peter

Hi Peter,
   For the sake of conversation how about emerge flags?

My server:

Sector9 ~ # emerge -pv cups hplip

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R   ] net-print/cups-1.3.9-r1  USE="X acl dbus jpeg ldap pam
perl png ppds python samba ssl tiff -avahi -gnutls -java -kerberos
-php -slp -static -xinetd -zeroconf" LINGUAS="en -de -es -et -fr -he
-id -it -ja -pl -sv -zh_TW" 0 kB

[ebuild   R   ] net-print/hplip-2.8.6b  USE="dbus ppds qt3 qt4
-cupsddk -doc -fax -minimal -parport -scanner -snmp" 0 kB

One of my clients:

dragonfly ~ # emerge -pv cups hplip

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R   ] net-print/cups-1.3.9-r1  USE="X acl dbus jpeg ldap pam
perl png ppds python ssl tiff -avahi -gnutls -java -kerberos -php
-samba -slp -static -xinetd -zeroconf" LINGUAS="en -de -es -et -fr -he
-id -it -ja -pl -sv -zh_TW" 0 kB

[ebuild   R   ] net-print/hplip-2.8.6b  USE="dbus ppds qt3 qt4
-cupsddk -doc -fax -minimal -parport -scanner -snmp" 0 kB

   I can send config files again if you need them but they haven't
changed in the few weeks since you looked at this.

Cheers,
Mark