On Tuesday 06 January 2009 12:45:15 Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Jan 2009 12:13:05 +0000, Peter Humphrey wrote:
> > I've seen a dev complain that most of the problems he's had to deal
> > with have been due to oldconfig, so I don't use it at all. I copy the
> > config in from the previous tree, then I run menuconfig and search for
> > lines ending in [NEW] or [DEPRECATED].
>
> How is this different from using make oldconfig, apart from the UI?

I don't know; I just pick up my clues where I can. Perhaps there's a
difference in handling of unchanged or default values.

On the other hand, maybe the dev was complaining about the way people use
the two methods rather than the way they operate, in which case I can be a
bit less paranoid. As I don't have the time to investigate how Make works,
I propose to continue to take the path of least resistance.

--
Rgds
Peter