Looks like there are other bugs filed elsewhere on the net about E1000
not loading with the 2.6.27 kernel.

Here's a curious note from
https://bugs.launchpad.net/launchpad-foundations/+bug/275611

=============
If I remove the line of the card in
/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules and boot with kernel
2.6.27-4, nothing happens, it's like the card does not exist.
If I modprobe e1000, and try to bring up manually eth0:

eth0: error fetching interface information: Device not found
If I boot back in kernel 2.6.27-3, everything works fine,
/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules is correctly configured, and
so on.

Sounds like something's up.  I will try to configure my 2.6.27 using
menuconfig, but why do I get the sense that I'll just waste time doing
that and end up at square one?