Michael P. Soulier wrote:

So, I interpret this as the mplayer plugin not being available for firefox
3.0, which is why it's pulling in the 2.0 stream. So, my best solution is
probably just to uninstall the mplayer plugin, is that right?

It seems to work fine in firefox 3.0. If I want to run the risk and keep it,
is masking out firefox 2.0 the way to go?

I ended up keywording mplayerplug-in ~x86 in /etc/portage/package.keywords to unmask the latest version that's in portage. This removed the block on Firefox 3.0 so I've left it at that for now. I may move on to gecko-mediaplayer in the future, but that box just doesn't do a lot of online media so it wasn't worth the effort at this juncture to switch.

Aaron