2009/1/19 kashani <kashani-l...@badapple.net>

>        I've been putting off the openrc upgrade on my vserver account for
> some time and think it's finally come around to bite me.
>
> Here's the info.
>
> I don't run the host OS only the vserver. The latest changes to profiles
> depreciated my old profile last night so I updated. I'm now using
> /usr/portage/profiles/default/linux/x86/vserver as eic-sync suggested. The
> issue appears to be that baselayout-vserver has been masked by
> /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask with this message.
>
> - sys-apps/baselayout-vserver-1.11.14-r4 (masked by: package.mask)
> /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask:
> # mask pending removal
> # Benedikt Böhm <hol...@gentoo.org> (10 Jan 2009)
> # baselayout-vserver is unmaintained and obsoleted by
> # baselayout-2/openrc. please upgrade. removal in 30 days.
>
> That makes sense, but my vserver profile has masked baselayout-2.
>
> !!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your
> request:
> - sys-apps/baselayout-2.0.0 (masked by: package.mask)
> /usr/portage/profiles/targets/vserver/package.mask:
> # Benedikt Boehm <hol...@gentoo.org>
> # Mask baselayout in vservers. Use baselayout-vserver instead!
>
> I suspect I need to change my profile to something that isn't vserver, but
> I haven't been able to find any docs or post of how to proceed.
>
> kashani

Or, you can just unmask the baselayout package and stay with the vserver
profile. Add the packages needed to /etc/portage/package.unmask. You will
probably have to add them to /etc/portage/package.keywords aswell as i think
they are still ~ARCH only.

If you not sure whats needed then emerge the program autounmask and that
will add all the entries (including any dependancies) automatically.

- Nick