2009/1/19 kashani <kashani-l...@badapple.net>

> Peter Alfredsen wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 10:28:05 -0800
>> kashani <kashani-l...@badapple.net> wrote:
>>
>>         I've been putting off the openrc upgrade on my vserver
>>> account for some time and think it's finally come around to bite me.
>>>

>> Our vserver team had this to say about it on -dev a few days ago.
>>
>>> - - baselayout-2/openrc isn't stable yet, in fact it's even masked
>>>>
>>> i don't care. baselayout-vserver is a hack, the vserver profiles are
>>> deprecated since ages (although i think the restructuring revived
>>> them), and the vserver team (that's only me currently) doesn't
>>> support anything else beside openrc.
>>>
>>> Greets,
>>> Bene
>>>

>> So, you should probably migrate to the normal profiles as recommended
>> by the vserver howto:
>>
>> Whoops, missed the link to the vserver howto:
>> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/vps/vserver-howto.xml
>>

> Unfortunately that doc isn't very up to date or very well written. Hell the
> mentioned baselayout 1.13 doesn't even exist in portage.
>
> It appears that I should.
>
> 1. Change profile from vserver to server so I don't have to go mucking
> about in package.mask
> 2. emerge -C baselayout-vserver && emerge baselayout-2 openrc
> 3. clean up openrc baselayout issues.
> 4. Make backups, restart, and hope it doesn't explode.
>
> That sound about right?
>
> The other side is that I have no control over the host OS, I just pay for a
> hosted vserver. Is any of this goes to have issues if I update the  quest
> and the host is not aware?
>
> kashani

Dont edit anything inside of /usr/portage as it will get wiped out the next
time you sync.
If you want to unmask openrc and baselayout then use
/etc/portage/package.unmask and /etc/portage/package.keywords.

Make sure you read the OpenRC migration guide or you risk severely hosing
your system!
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/openrc-migration.xml

- Nick