2009/1/20 <zhangwe...@realss.com>

> Hello. I have
>
> zhangwe...@esmeralda:~$ grep --invert-match ^# /etc/locale.gen
>
> zh_CN.UTF-8 UTF-8
> en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8
> de_DE.UTF-8 UTF-8
>

> For most applications, I can start it in any language I wish to use.
> e.g. if I want to start abiword in en_US, I can do this:
>
> zhangwe...@esmeralda:~$ LANG=en_US abiword
>
> However this method doesn't work for firefox and thunderbird. Both
> always starts in German (note German is the last, a.k.a. least preferred
> language for me, in /etc/locale.gen)
>
> I checked that I do have thunderbird installed with linguas_en_US (see
> below emerge output). If it is installed with that language version, it
> should be able to run in that language version. How can I start
> thunderbird in en_US?
>
> zhangwe...@esmeralda:~$ sudo emerge -pv mail-client/mozilla-thunderbird

> Calculating dependencies... done!
> [ebuild   R   ] mail-client/mozilla-thunderbird-2.0.0.19  USE="crypt ipv6
> ldap replytolist xinerama xprint -bindist -debug -gnome -mozdom -moznopango"
> LINGUAS="de en_US -af -be -bg -ca -cs -da -el -en -en_GB -es -es_AR -es_ES
> -eu -fi -fr -ga -ga_IE -he -hu -it -ja -ko -lt -mk -nb -nb_NO -nl -nn -nn_NO
> -pa -pa_IN -pl -pt -pt_BR -pt_PT -ru -sk -sl -sv -sv_SE -tr -uk -zh -zh_CN
> -zh_TW" 0 kB
>
> Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 kB

Im not sure how to solve your problem, but you should know that
/etc/locale.gen isnt used by the system to determine what language to use,
its only used by glibc to provide the relevant language support within glibc
only.

To set system wide language preferences you need to edit your environment
variables using /etc/env.d/02locale, for some useful info see this guide:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/guide-localization.xml

It may not fix your problem but it should help you at least ensure your
system is setup correctly for the languages you want to use.

- Nick