>who needs an initramfs?

Not me ;)

But seeing this discussion, I've finally realised that I'm a dumbass.
For ages now I've been manually copying the kernel, the system.map and
the config around my filesystem. I've always wondered how on earth
people manage who do a lot of kernel testing  without exploding due to
frustration. Now I know... :)

But out of curiosity, and to recap:

I can set the version, either in the kernel config with
CONFIG_LOCALVERSION
or by using a file
localversion
containing a version string?

Does this then create a bzImage-versionstring file, and make install
copies this to /boot/kernel-versionstring (and system.map and .config
respectably)?

Also how exactly do you then need to build the kernel.
Does a simple 'make' suffice?

Tom