Neil Bothwick <n...@digimed.co.uk> writes:

> On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 23:38:48 -0500, ABCD wrote:
>
>> To be precise, the config option CONFIG_LOCALVERSION appends a string to
>> the end of the kernel version, which installkernel uses to place the
>> kernel image.
>
> You can get the same effect by creating a file called localversion
> containing the string to add, which saves altering the kernel config. If
> you make this a symlink to .version, you even get it incremented
> automatically.
>
>> If /boot/vmlinuz exists, then it is moved to /boot/vmlinuz.old, and a
>> *symlink* from /boot/vmlinuz is created to "vmlinuz-${VERSION}".  If
>> /boot/vmlinuz did *not* exist before installation, then no symlink is
>> created.
>
> Instead, vmlinuz-${VERSION} is copied to vmlinuz.

I'm a little confused here... what exactly is in .version?  Say if I
wanted to identify the kernel as belonging to a specific machine.
HOST is vm23.  Now if I wanted to have an incrementing version string
that included that host name what would I need in .version and how
does the incrementing work?

Do you mean 1 is added to string each time you call make?  Can you
show an example of this?

Does .version need to reside in same level as .config?  Will a
`make clean' or `make mrproper'... destroy it?