Jesús Guerrero wrote:
El Mie, 4 de Febrero de 2009, 14:19, Nikos Chantziaras escribió:
Sebastián Magrí wrote:

Also, Gentoo is a great school. If you want to learn how a Linux system
 works, and really want to learn about Unix systems, then Gentoo is the
 best for you.
I don't get that argument.  I didn't learn how Linux or Unix works with
Gentoo.  I didn't even find my prior knowledge of Unix and Linux of much
use either.  Typing "emerge package" and "dispatch-conf" doesn't offer me
much knowledge.  It's as simple as Debian in this regard.

If I wanted a "learn Unix" distro, I would be using Slackware :P

Gentoo forces you to use linux in the sense that you need to
do all the work by yourself to install it. What you describe is
just the regular update/install process, which is simple enough
as you said.

It was very easy for me. The first I came in tough with Gentoo was with the 2007 DVD. I booted, double clicked the installer icon, clicked "next" a few times with checking some tickboxes too, and then emerged -e system and world and the packages I need.

After that I was asking myself where the difficulty lies many people refer to when it comes to installing Gentoo.

Seriously, I didn't learn anything.  Maybe CLFAGS and USE flags.