On 2/5/2009 7:01 AM, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:

no. He is an idiot if he does not read the docs. Simple. Like people who don't
read the manual to their car or vcr and then complaining if something does not
work. Idiots.

"They should read the manual" is *not* a valid design goal for a system. At best, it's a justification or rationalization when outside constraints force a design to be non-intuitive.

Given the choice between two otherwise equally functional systems (of any sort -- electronic, mechanical, digital, etc); if one requires me to spend extensive time reading an instruction manual to use and the other is designed to be easy to use out of the box -- the "idiot" is the person wasting their time reading instead of being productive. To use your own example, I have no problem figuring out how to start my car, turn on the A/C, tune my radio, and drive to work without reading the automobile manual.

If Gentoo's installer *has* to be difficult because it's the only way to supply additional benefits or features, that's a perfectly reasonable argument. If Gentoo's installer is *stuck* being difficult because there is a lack of resources interested in making it better, that's an upsetting, but equally reasonable argument.

If Gentoo's installer is difficult *on purpose* just to make Gentoo hard to use, that's ridiculous.

--K