Dale wrote:
> Joshua D Doll wrote:
>
>> Saphirus Sage wrote:

>>> Man pages notoriously bad?! Now that's a stance I can hardly understand,
>>> they've always been a godsend in my experience! Just practice using a
>>> command a few times, look through the options and learn it in the period
>>> of ten minutes, and a man page has done its purpose. If this stance is
>>> due to your own inadequate ability to read technical documents, then do
>>> not apply the lacking to anything but your own capacity for
>>> comprehension.
>>>

>> Just cause you haven't run across an uninformative/incomplete man page
>> doesn't mean others haven't. Also man pages lacking valuable
>> information is the reason why GNU has switched to the majority of
>> their packages to using info! You shouldn't flame someone because your
>> experiences are different from their's.
>>
>> --Joshua Doll
>>

> I have to say that I have had times that even after someone showed me
> how to use a command, the man page made no sense still.  If it doesn't
> make sense when you know a little about using it, how can it make sense
> when you don't?
>
> I think examples is a good way to do that and the more the better.
>
> Dale
>
> :-)  :-)

I'd wager that examples are the responsibility of third parties.
Frankly, if I've read a man page and found it inadequate, a quick google
search usually will come back with enough examples to resolve any
problem. I'm not saying a manpage should be without any examples at all,
but if the provided documentation isn't thorough enough, that's what
these mailing lists and forums are for.