After some more struggling I managed to get kde-base/systemsettings
compiled: If I unmerge x11-libs/libxkbfile and then emerge
systemsettings, it compiles fine (without support for the xkb
settings). After that I did an emerge -DuvaN world and this pulls in
libxkbfile again.

But when I try to start KDE4.2 (using kdm), the screen blanks out a
few times while kde is loading (the spash screen being displayed) and
then I briefly see a malformed desktop (the bottom of the taskbar
wraps around to the top of the screen) and then just a black screen.

In /var/log/messages, something about plasma crashing is reported,
can't remember and I'm not at the PC now, but nothing very
informative.

I feel like going back to my good old days of windowmaker.

Regards
Dirk