<podge <at> podgeweb.com> writes:

> > I was wondering if anyone might have any idea's as to what is causing my
> > new Toshiba A300 Satelite to idle at a load of 1.00 when not in use. Right
> > after boot up it settles at 1.00 when I do nothing. I'm not seeing anything
> > out of ordinary in dmesg ( asside from an non issue with legacy usb and sd
> > and sr drivers in the kernel ).

Ah,

I have had a similar problem a few months ago on one system (AMD 64 X2).
I never figured it out, but I suspect that rebuilding X, KDE and many
other utilities over time, fixed it. X seems to use more resources than
it should. But, in reality, after a while, it just went away. None of the
other AMD 64 X2 systems I manage, had the problem. The load was always 1.0
or higher.

I think I even posted to this list and we discussed the meaning of "load"
too.

Here's some good reading on "load average"

http://www.teamquest.com/resources/gunther/display/5/