On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 9:20 AM, Paul Hartman
<paul.hartman+gen...@gmail.com<paul.hartman%2bgen...@gmail.com>
> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 4:57 PM, Beau Henderson <b...@thehenderson.com>
> wrote:

> causing
> >>
> >> Ah,
> >>
> >> I have had a similar problem a few months ago on one system (AMD 64 X2).
> >> I never figured it out, but I suspect that rebuilding X, KDE and many
> >> other utilities over time, fixed it. X seems to use more resources than
> >> it should. But, in reality, after a while, it just went away. None of
> the
> >> other AMD 64 X2 systems I manage, had the problem. The load was always
> 1.0
> >> or higher.
> >>

> >> I think I even posted to this list and we discussed the meaning of
> "load"
> >> too.
> >>
> >> Here's some good reading on "load average"
> >>
> >> http://www.teamquest.com/resources/gunther/display/5/
> >>

> > Hey,
> >
> > I'm fairly comfortable with the definition of load average, that's not
> > something I need clarification on, but thanks to all whom have offered.
> >
> > I'll fire up htop today and see if its able to identify anything that top
> or
> > ps hasn't as yet.
> >
> > I'm relatively certain the issue isn't related to X or gnome as the load
> > shoots up immediately after boot up and the load issue happens even
> without
> > firing up startx.
>
> I wonder if the laptop could be going into some low-speed, low-power
> mode, causing it to seem "slow" and thus making the load seem
> artificially high? (assuming you're using CPU frequency scaling at
> all)

I've tried manually altering the governor to performance but its the same
story.

The system doesn't appear sluggish, I'm really more concerned that something
is causing the load and this might lead to shorter battery life and and more
heat.

htop doesn't seem to show anything either.

Just for shits n giggles I fired up powertop and implemented its
suggestions. No luck with that either unfortunately. This has me completely
baffled.

--
Beau Dylan Henderson

"No human being should be denied the fundamental right to educate themselves
or indulge their curiosities. To deny any person the right to do so, for
whatever reason, is nothing more than the safeguarding of ignorance to
ensure that enlightenment does not become a threat. For nothing in this
world is more dangerous than an open mind." -- Matthew Good