On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 22:35:35 +0200
Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sunday 22 March 2009 22:15:14 Momesso Andrea wrote:
> > My current setup is:
> >
> >    Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
> > /dev/sda1   *           1        2894    23246023+  83  Linux
> > /dev/sda2            2895        3381     3911827+  82  Linux
> >    swap /Solaris
> > /dev/sda3            3382       24804   172080247+  83  Linux
> > /dev/sda4           24805       30401    44957902+  83  Linux
> >
> > where sda3 is an lvm volume and sda4 is free space.
> >
> > I'd like to to merge sda3 and sda4 into a single partition without
> > losing the data on it, but I'm not sure if it is possible.
> >
> > My guess is that I can use fdisk to delete sda4 and sda3, create a
> > sda3 partition starting at 3382 and ending at 30401, then use
> > pvresize to enlarge it.
>
> Correct. That's all there is to it.
>
> > This is from man pvresize:
> > "Expand the PV on /dev/sda1 after enlarging the partition with
> > fdisk: pvresize /dev/sda1"
> >
> > Is that going to work or I'm going to lose all the data?
>
> Your data is safe if you do exactly the steps you said above.

Good to know! In any case backups are available, but I prefer not to
use them if not necessary.

> Caveat: I have no idea why this doesn't work, but if you make sda4 an
> extended partition and create sda5 as a logical with exactly the same
> start and end as you describe above, you do in fact lose all data.
> Obviously there is a difference between a physical and a logical
> partition with the same location, but I don't know why this is.
>
> Which is a pity, as 4 logical partitions is a little too
> constrictive, I prefer the extra freedom to move things around with
> extended partitions.
>
> > P.S. I'm not using vgextend to simply add sda4 to the lvm because I
> > might want to migrate my root (sda1) to ext4, and to do so I will
> > need to split it in two separate partitions (/boot using ext3 and /
> > using ext4). This way I'm not going to need extended partitions.
>
> ext3 on /boot is pointless. The ext3 metadata takes up a considerable
> chunk of the space on a typical /boot, for no good reason at all -
> writes to it are exceptionally rare so there's no real-worlld benefit
> to the journal.
>
> Ext2 is ideal for /boot.

Thanks for the advice. Will be a problem for lvm if I add a partition
before it? I mean, will I need to change any config files while lvm is
gonna reside on sda4 instead of sda3?

---
TopperH
http://topperh.blogspot.com