On Sunday 22 March 2009, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> Caveat: I have no idea why this doesn't work, but if you make sda4 an
> extended partition and create sda5 as a logical with exactly the same start
> and end as you describe above, you do in fact lose all data. Obviously
> there is a difference between a physical and a logical partition with the
> same location, but I don't know why this is.

I think that this is because the extended partition contains the extended
partition table at its boot sector.  A primary partition at the same position
does not and therefore has a different offset.  Having spent some interesting
white-knuckle-ride moments with testdisk, I realised that carelessly
switching between primary and extended/logical partitions is not something I
would like to try again - unless I am playing around in a test environment.

> Which is a pity, as 4 logical partitions is a little too constrictive,

Do you mean primary?

--
Regards,
Mick