Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
which pretty much makes hal a bad idea. 'use hal so you don't have to edit files' and then have to edit hal's convoluted xml files instead of the simple, easy to read xorg.conf ...

I don't use HAL for this at all ;) After a bit of hair-pulling, I arrived at this in my xorg.conf:

  Section "ServerFlags"
    Option "AutoAddDevices" "false"
  EndSection

  Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Keyboard1"
    Driver     "kbd"
    Option     "AutoRepeat" "250 30"
    Option     "XkbRules"   "xorg"
    Option     "XkbModel"   "microsoftinet"
  EndSection

  Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier      "Mouse1"
    Driver          "evdev"
    Option          "Protocol"      "auto"
    Option          "Device"        "/dev/input/event4"
    Option          "AccelerationProfile" "2"
    Option          "AdaptiveDeceleration" "2"
    Option          "FilterHalflife" "5"
    Option          "VelocityCoupling" "0.15"
    Option          "FilterChainLength" "8"
  EndSection

  Section "ServerLayout"
    # ...
    InputDevice "Mouse1"    "CorePointer"
    InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"
  EndSection

Works just fine.

Btw, the new mouse accelerator of X.Org 1.5 is awesome ;)