Mike Edenfield wrote:
> On 4/13/2009 12:55 PM, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
>> Paul Hartman wrote:

>>> I must be lucky because I've been using it since it hit ~amd64 and
>>> using the HAL/fdi way and it works fine for me. :)
>>
>> Same here. All is working perfectly (or almost perfectly; see crappy ATI
>> Catalyst drivers) for months. Linux is getting better and the X.Org
>> updates are playing a major part.
>
> I've never had any problems with HAL or the new X that I didn't cause
> myself.  (e.g. enabling modesetting in the kernel by accident, blindly
> copying FDI files from the intarwebs without noticing that the hal
> package already included then, completely failing to read the
> update-your-drivers warning, etc).  In other words, exactly the same
> thing that happened to old-X when you didn't pay attention to what you
> are doing, happens to new-X when you don't pay attention to what you
> are doing.
>
> On the other hand, for the first time since I started putting Linux on
> my laptops, I have (with zero effort on my part) a working Synaptics
> touchpad with actual Synaptics features AND X recognizes my
> hot-plugged USB mouse.
I'm up and running.  I'm one of those people who doesn't have a really
strong technical background - anything I've learned I've learned by
"guess and by God", by reading and with the help of this list.  I
struggled a bit, even though I followed the "Migration to X.org server
1.5" document.  I couldn't get X to start even though I recompiled the
kernel and nvidia drivers.  I tried not using my xorg.conf file and
finally on a lark, tried running Xorg -configure, which gave me a new
xorg.conf file.  When I ran the command to check to see if the new
xorg.conf file was going to work, I got a grey screen with an X in the
middle.  When I killed X, I saw an error message about my Microsoft
Sidewinder joystick.  So, on a whim, I rebuilt the kernel, enabling
joysticks, but not specifying a joystick type.  When I rebooted, x
started just fine - no problems with my cordless mouse, keyboard, or
touchpad and my joystick works.  So, as they say, "perseverance reaps
rewards".

Regards,

Colleen

--