Dale wrote:
Mark Knecht wrote:
On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 8:41 AM, Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:

Justin wrote:

Peter Ruskin schrieb:

Well, I did the upgrade at last, with -hal and my proven xorg-config, and the result is unusable. I use kde-3.5.9 and
 the mouse doesn't work right - right-click has no effect and
 single-right-click works a double-click.

'demerge' came to the rescue and now I'm happily back with xorg-server-1.3.0.0-r6.

Any reason to use -hal?

Simplicity - get it going without hal, then bring in hal after
everything works.

I'm not a dev by any means but this is my thoughts.  Before releasing
 xorg-server, update the xorgcfg or xorgconfig commands to deal with
a lot of this, at least get you to where you have a basic keyboard and mouse.

After reading the upgrade guide, it seemed clear to me that my first
attempt would be without hal, and without my old xorg.conf.

It initially crashed because of some erroneous opengl softlinks
(bugzilla already notified); correcting those using familiar Xorg.log
resulted in x coming up nicely. I then played with my old xorg.conf 'til
it worked well with the new xorg.server.

I have not yet added hal; seems like unnecessary complexity at this
point - I don't know how it will make life better.

As a newbie, had I started with hal and my old xorg.conf, I'd likely
still be fooling with it; too many balls in the air.

My suggestion: start simple and safe, and add the "new and powerful"
complexity as a follow up - explaining why the marginal increase in
"stuff" is worth it's overhead, how it will make things better.

HTH