On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 7:40 AM, Michael Sullivan <msulli1...@gmail.com> wrote:
<SNIP>

> In my /var/log/Xorg.0.log file, the only errors are as follows:
>
> camille ~ # grep EE /var/log/Xorg.0.log
>        (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
> (EE) Unable to locate/open config file
> (II) Loading extension MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
> (EE) open /dev/fb0: No such file or directory
> (EE) AIGLX error: dlopen of /usr/lib/dri/i915_dri.so failed
> (/usr/lib/dri/i915_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file
> or directory)
> (EE) AIGLX: reverting to software rendering
>

> Now I don't know what /dev/fb0 is, but the /usr/lib/dri/i915_dri.so I
> think I should have, but I don't.
>
> camille ~ # locate i915_dri.so
> camille ~ # ls -l /usr/lib/dri
> total 2004
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 2047960 Apr 12 03:17 swrast_dri.so
>

> Where can I get this file?

This was caused by you and I following the somewhat generic upgrade
instructions. fb = Frame Buffer.

Under VIDEO_CARDS="intel fb vesa" (that's all from meory but you'll
know it when you look at your make.conf file you probably added fb or
fbdev - whatever it was. If you and I don't use frame buffers then you
and I should remove it, or so I think. Then when X starts it won't
have those drivers to load and it won't look for stuff we don't have
in our kernels.

Hope this helps,
Mark