On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 12:30:52 -0400
Simon <turne...@gmail.com> wrote:

> hi there,
>   i'm looking for suggestions and guidance.

[]

I tend to tell folks up front to never listen to me or believe anything I say,
so here's my... $.02.

>   I've looked into several ideas, but the last one that remains a good
> 'deal' is to set it all up myself, for free (but lots of work)!
>
> I'm thinking on setting up asterisk,

[]

Don't. Your GF will hate you for wasting your time.

> I've read those, but I'm sure there are a lot of surprises not covered
> by these...
> http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+Linux+Gentoo
> http://www.gentoo-wiki.info/Asterisk
>
> Thanks for any help!

Asterisk is unlike most other open source projects I've seen. Free help doesn't
exist, really -- there's just too much money to be made replacing proprietary
telco hardware for folks to enjoy educing that aha! moment.

All would tell you, at your hourly rate, choosing to roll your own asterisk
install on Gentoo is probably the most expensive option available to you.

Anyway, it can be done. #gentoo-voip are helpful folks, but unless you have a
real reason to know asterisk, really, don't bother... it's huge PITA for just
getting a phone.

Even if you do decide to kill that gnat with a sledgehammer, you're better off
with Trixbox, astlinux or something you can pretty much expect some help with.
(So I hear.)

If all you want is to use a SIP trunk, my local telco monopoly, for example,
will rent me a box to plug a phone into for a fixed monthly fee and unlimited
calling. Or, you can probably get any Dahdi compat fxs card and plug a phone
into your gentoo box. Or just get a SIP phone... plug into your router.

Basically, there are so many options, it's bewildering. From my (limited)
experience with it, I'd say that Asterisk is really more of a place to create
telco appliances from computers, not an application you run with other things
as an afterthought, just because you can.

But, then again, you already run Gentoo, so you are familiar with needless
self-inflicted pain as a pastime. Asterisk may be just for you, too! ;-)

Cheers,

--
 |    |ichael  |   |iggins    \^ /
 michael.higgins[at]evolone[dot]org