2009/5/5 Neil Bothwick <n...@digimed.co.uk>:
> On Tue, 5 May 2009 11:50:18 +0100, Alex Bennee wrote:
>
>> I thought I may as well try the x11 overlay so added it to layman but
>> obviously the package mask is still in effect. I assume the manually
>> editing /usr/portage/profile/package.mask will cause problems when the
>> package.mask is updated.
>
> Put it in /etc/portage/package.unmask

Hmmm, it seems the x11 overlay is missing a whole bunch of stuff as it
complains:

alculating dependencies... done!

!!! All ebuilds that could satisfy ">=x11-proto/xineramaproto-1.1.3"
have been masked.
!!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your request:
- x11-proto/xineramaproto-9999 (masked by: package.mask, ~amd64 keyword)
/usr/portage/local/layman/x11/profiles/package.mask:
# Don't let people install these accidentally

For more information, see the MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge
man page or refer to the Gentoo Handbook.
(dependency required by "x11-base/xorg-server-9999" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "world" [argument])

danny ~ # less /usr/portage/local/layman/x11/x11-proto/xineramaproto/
Manifest                   xineramaproto-9999.ebuild

Which hits the overlays own masks. It looks like I'll have to go back
to my own hand crafted overlay but with the package.mask overided as
you suggested.

--
Alex, homepage: http://www.bennee.com/~alex/
CV: http://www.bennee.com/~alex/cv.php