On Thursday 07 May 2009 18:48:15 Saphirus Sage wrote:
> I've never managed to successfully boot a gentoo laptop without initrd.

I've never managed to successfully boot a gentoo laptop with initrd.

initrd's are there for the case where the distro builder does not know what
the hardware is beforehand. Like binary distros - they must boot of almost
anything so all modules must be detected and loaded at boot time.

Gentoo, almost by definition, is used in cases where the builder does know
what the hardware is - [s]he usually owns it. So you can dispense with initrd
and simply compile in the modules required to boot.

There's always exceptions of course - booting off a soft-raid volume, Sabayon,
building one master copy of gentoo to use throughout your organization with a
range of hardware.

And of course there's always our very own elephant in the room - genkernel.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com