On 19 May 2009, at 18:32, fe...@crowfix.com wrote:
So today I started a cleanup project.  I began by moving world to
world-bloated and running emerge --depclean -p just to see what would
happen.  The answer is ... a loop!

It appears you no longer have a world file (because you moved it, rather than copying).

I would copy it then, as Volker suggests, edit the original.

There were a couple of missing or out of date packages and I emerged
them.  But libusb has to be 10.6 to make some packages happy and 10.7
to satisfy others.

If this is _really_ the case, then look at the packages that need 1.6. Look at the later, ~x86 or masked, versions of them and find one that supports 1.7. Unmask that & emerge it.

As Alan hints at ("Edit the world file and remove every version number in that file if present"), I think you might find that you don't really have any packages that won't support later than 1.6. Perhaps you just have 1.6 pinned in your world file, or you have an older version of a package (which has since been upgraded to support 1.7) pinned.

Stroller.