On Tue, 19 May 2009 10:32:01 -0700
fe...@crowfix.com wrote:

> In a previous thread, I learned about keeping world simple with
> --oneshot.  I realized how mine had gotten so bloated -- when I
> update, I edit the --pretend output and feed that directly into
> emerge without the benefit of --oneshot.
>
> So today I started a cleanup project.  I began by moving world to
> world-bloated and running emerge --depclean -p just to see what would
> happen.  The answer is ... a loop!
>
> There were a couple of missing or out of date packages and I emerged
> them.  But libusb has to be 10.6 to make some packages happy and 10.7
> to satisfy others.
>
> I have been down this route before.  I don't feel like unmerging
> either side of the mess, and even if I didn't want the packages, it is
> way too much hassle to unmerge them one by one as the list of unhappy
> packages grows.
>
> So, what is the proper way to recreate a proper world file?  If
> depclean can finally run one of these days when gentoo gets back in
> sync, is staring with an empty world file as good as anything else?
> The idea of trying to make intelligent guesses about which packages
> are truly top level, out of 3000+ packages, is not enticing.

QUICK & DIRTY:

emerge autounmask
autounmask =app-portage/udept-0.5.99.0.2.95-r1
dep -w

About the "dirty" part. Don't use "dep" for anything else. It's
masked for a good reason - it's outdated and doesn't work with current
portage versions. "-w" is the only feature I use and it works for me.
Use at your own risk, make a backup of the world file, etc...

--
Best regards,
Daniel