On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 8:06 AM, James <wirel...@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

> Saphirus Sage <saphirus497 <at> gmail.com> writes:
>

> > > Any ideas how to disable the synaptics pad?
>
> > I'm not entirely sure that's a proper way to disable the synaptics pad,
> > as you don't seem to have removed xorg's ability to load the driver. I'd
> > suggest just #'ing out the whole InputDevice section relating to the
> > synaptics pad, and running emerge -C synaptics or emerge -C
> > xf86-input-synaptics, depending on which driver you're using. That
> > should completely remove your ability to use the synaptic touch pad.
>
> Hmmmm,
>

> Nothing with the word "synaptics"  (or either of the packages you
> mentioned)
> is installed.
>

> I do have a left over, bloated xorg file, so I'll first just delete
> the line with the (#) symbol, but, I thought that was the way to
> deactivate entries. Looking in xorg.conf.examples did not reveal
> any sort of useful infor
>

> Maybe somebody could post a minimal xorg.conf, or a url to some examples?
>
> One additional bit of information. The synaptics pad, when touched, makes
> the mouse(cursor) go crazy in a radom-noise-movement sort of pattern.
> When I stop touching the synaptics pad and use the external usb mouse,
> cursor  movement becomes normal as expected.
>

> ideas?

Sounds like, since you don't have a synaptics driver installed, the
synaptics device is being handled like a regular mouse via the evdev driver,
and the evdev driver doesn't properly handle the data coming from the
touchpad, hence the erratic pointer movement.

For disabling, I'm not sure, as I don't have access to a system w/ synaptics
on it (until I get home, but that's about 8 hours away yet...), but, after
emerging the xf86-input-synaptics driver, and looking at the man page (man
synaptics), I see the

Option "TouchpadOff" "integer"

option - if you set this to "1", then the touchpad is disabled, so I would
add in a section for the device in your xorg.conf file, something like:

       Section "InputDevice"
         Identifier "touchpad"
         Driver "synaptics"
         Option "Device"   "/dev/input/<whatever-it-is - you can find out by
doing "cat /proc/bus/input/devices" and looking at the "Handlers" line>"
         Option "TouchpadOff" "1"
       EndSection

HTH-

-James