Arttu V. wrote:
> On 5/23/09, Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> This is what I get with this command:
>>
>> r...@smoker / # emerge -ep system | grep python
>> [ebuild   R   ] app-admin/python-updater-0.5
>> [ebuild   R   ] dev-lang/python-2.5.4-r2
>> r...@smoker / #
>>
>> So python is there if you do it emptytree.
>>

> emptytree pulls in *all* dependencies, regardless of whether they are
> in the system set or even if they are just regular dependencies
> (random packages) from an external overlay. So you're not comparing
> apples to apples there with -e, you're getting lot of false positives
> from outside the real system set.
>
> It is still a good question why one would have any system set packages
> having critical dependencies to non-system set packages, but reasoning
> for that has to be asked from the portage devs ...
>
> But backing up a little, try this instead for an amusement (remember
> to --pretend or --ask):
>
> ~ # emerge -pvC python

>  dev-lang/python
>     selected: 2.5.4-r2
>    protected: none
>      omitted: none

> ~ # emerge -pvC binutils

> !!! 'sys-devel/binutils' is part of your system profile.
> !!! Unmerging it may be damaging to your system.
>

>  sys-devel/binutils
>     selected: 2.18-r3
>    protected: none
>      omitted: none

> ~ #
>

> Note how binutils still is within the system set and gets the extra
> warning, while python doesn't get the special system set warning with
> the three exclamation marks? I.e., python *is no longer* in the system
> set, probably removed by the very change I gave a link for in previous
> email.
>
> AFAIK (haven't checked in portage code), buildsyspkg and such only
> work with the packages explicitly mentioned in the system set, so
> binutils is in, python is (nowadays) out -- and that probably explains
> also what is happening on your smoker. :)
>
> Anyone finding flaws in my theories or facts or observations that
> outright nullify them? :)

Hmmm, I think someone needs to rethink the system set then.  After all,
portage does not work well without python.  It should keep a binary copy
but it should also warn you if you are typing without your thinking cap on.

Anyone else think this is a bug?  Or should be thought out again as to
being included is system set?

Dale

:-)  :-)