trouble seeing the video adapter and with loading the mouse driver.

On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 10:30 PM, Nikos Chantziaras <rea...@arcor.de> wrote:
> Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
>>
>> Getting desperate....
>>
>> Anyway, with no xorg.conf, I see
>> ============= screen stuff starts
>> treat ~ # startx
>> xauth:  creating new authority file /root/.serverauth.6892
>>

>> New driver is "ati"
>
> The driver from ati-drivers is "fglrx", not "ati".  "ati" doesn't even
> really exist anymore, it's a wrapper between "radeon" and the old "mach64"
> drivers for non-Radeon cards.
>
> For Radeon cards, there are "fglrx" (in ati-drivers binary package),
> "radeon" (in xf86-video-radeon package) and "radeonhd" (in
> xf86-video-radeonhd package).
>
> For "fglrx" to be loaded, you *really need* a section for it in xorg.conf.
> It will *never* get auto-loaded. Ever. Either you put that by hand in
> xorg.conf or automatically with aticonfig --initial. If you don't, that
> driver will *never* be loaded.

It tries to load "ati" on its own when I run "startx" with no
xorg.conf.  Not my idea.

I'm not aware of having done anything to specify "ati", so I don't
know how to stop it. My focus on ati-drivers came from the fact that
portage really wants to compile it. I'm not sure how it knows I have
ATI, not for instance an Nvidia adapter -- probably something I did in
2002 when I first installed gentoo.

BTW: video is an integrated ATI Rage XL on the motherboard, so it's a tad old.
When I run aticonfig --initial, it says
     aticonfig: No supported adapters detected

So I tried putting the driver in xorg.conf, and using a modified
version of what worked with the old server, arrived at
Section "Device"
    Identifier  "ati-internal"
    Driver      "fglrx"
EndSection

RESULTS: fglrx loads, but does not see the adapter.  There's also a
problem with the mouse driver -- some undefined symbol.

Not seeing the adapter scares me a bit.  Could it be that my system is
no longer supported?

Ouput from "startx" (in part):
==================== tail of log file
(II) LoadModule: "fglrx"

(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//fglrx_drv.so
(II) Module fglrx: vendor="FireGL - ATI Technologies Inc."
        compiled for 1.4.99.906, module version = 8.59.2
        Module class: X.Org Video Driver
(II) LoadModule: "mouse"

(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input//mouse_drv.so
dlopen: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input//mouse_drv.so: undefined symbol:
miPointerGetMotionEvents
(EE) Failed to load /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input//mouse_drv.so
(II) UnloadModule: "mouse"
(EE) Failed to load module "mouse" (loader failed, 7)
(II) LoadModule: "kbd"

(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input//kbd_drv.so
(II) Module kbd: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
        Module class: X.Org XInput Driver
        ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 2.1
(II) Primary Device is: PCI 0...@00:01:0
(WW) Falling back to old probe method for fglrx
(II) ATI Proprietary Linux Driver Version Identifier:8.59.2
(II) ATI Proprietary Linux Driver Release Identifier: 8.593
(II) ATI Proprietary Linux Driver Build Date: Mar 12 2009 23:38:54
(II) Loading PCS database from /etc/ati/amdpcsdb
(WW) This ATI Proprietary Linux Driver does not guarantee support of
video driver ABI higher than 2.0
(WW) Video driver ABI version of the X server is 4.1
(II) AMD ASIC control file status: R2 S1 B330 N330 T329
(--) Assigning device section with no busID to primary device
(EE) No devices detected.

Fatal server error:
no screens found
treat X11 #