On Sun, May 24, 2009 at 11:36 PM, Adam Carter <adam.car...@optus.com.au> wrote:
>> RESULTS: fglrx loads, but does not see the adapter.  There's also a
>> problem with the mouse driver -- some undefined symbol.
>
> Have you rebuilt your kernel after emergeing xf86-input-mouse? If so you
> probably need to re-emerge xf86-input-mouse.

Hmm. These have been helpful.

In make.config, I changed to
 VIDEO_CARDS="r128 vga fbdev vesa"
and recompiled xorg-server.

I noticed that it had output that I tracked down to some ewarns in the
ebuild.  But oddly, this package did not create an elog file in
/var/log/portage.  I wonder why?  Anyway, I've made a permanent note
of the "qlist -I -C x11-drivers" command for finding installed
drivers.

I recompiled all drivers, namely
 x11-drivers/xf86-input-evdev
 x11-drivers/xf86-input-joystick
 x11-drivers/xf86-input-keyboard
 x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse
 x11-drivers/xf86-video-fbdev
 x11-drivers/xf86-video-r128
 x11-drivers/xf86-video-vesa

Now when I try "startx" it still has problems, but I appear to be
closer.  On screen I see
xauth:  creating new authority file /root/.serverauth.14631

X.Org X Server 1.5.3
Release Date: 5 November 2008
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.28-gentoo-r5-kosmanor i686
Current Operating System: Linux treat 2.6.28-gentoo-r5-kosmanor #6 SMP
PREEMPT Sat May 23 19:17:22 PDT 2009 i686
Build Date: 25 May 2009  08:41:29AM

        Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
        (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Mon May 25 11:13:36 2009
(EE) Unable to locate/open config file
New driver is "ati"
(==) Using default built-in configuration (30 lines)
dlopen: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions//libglx.so: cannot open
(EE) Failed to load /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions//libglx.so
(EE) Failed to load module "glx" (loader failed, 7)
dlopen: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions//libdri.so: cannot open
(EE) Failed to load /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions//libdri.so
(EE) Failed to load module "dri" (loader failed, 7)
(EE) Failed to load module "ati" (module does not exist, 0)
(EE) open /dev/fb0: No such file or directory
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Fatal server error:
no screens found
giving up.
xinit:  Connection refused (errno 111):  unable to connect to X server
xinit:  No such process (errno 3):  Server error.
treat xorg-server #

Three things it cannot find: libglx, libdri, and module ati.  I don't
know about libglx, but according to equery, libdri is owned by
xorg-server; so why is it asking for this module if it didn't build
with it?  And I likewise do not know why it's trying to load "glx" or
"ati".

equery could not tell me what owns libglx.  I could not remember how
to use portageq, and the --help message did not help much.
Nevertheless, it looks like I'm closer because it now sees a screen.

Any more clues out there?

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD