<alan.mckin...@gmail.com>wrote:
> > On Wednesday 27 May 2009 22:04:06 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> > > thoughts: there are distros that hold your hand already.
> >
> > There's also Windows. For just in case Ubuntu doesn't hold enough of your
> > hand.
>
> Oh right, what was I thinking, giving the users an optional tool to make
> their lives marginally easier after they've tired of trying to remember for
> their thirtieth install just which of these inane x86 SIMD instructions are
> supported by cpu x?  I'm rolling my eyes over here, guys; that was uncalled
> for and you know it.

remember? a short look into /proc/cpuinfo tells you that. Or just:
if it is amd, it has 3dnow. Everything recent has sse and sse2. SSE3,4,ssse3 -
check cpuinfo.

> Then again, it might be egg on my face for thinking that civilised
> discourse was possible on a mailing list. :/

well, it is civilised. Nobody did a personal attack. But if you think you are
attacked because people disagree with you or don't think that your idea is a
good one - well.. then you should not be part of discussions, true.