On 28 May 2009, at 21:08, Ward Poelmans wrote:

On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 21:13, Stroller <strol...@stellar.eclipse.co.uk > wrote:

I'm not absolutely sure that the USE flags enable hand-written assembler
code, but what I do know is that:

Don't make it more difficult then it is. SSE, etc means the CPU
support a certain set of instructions. When you enable the use flag
for it, mplayer will make use of the instructions.

But, surely "-march=" also instructs gcc to support the additional instructions. Suggest you re-read Daniel's post that I was replying to.

What's the difference between supporting the "certain set of instructions" with "-march=" and doing so with USEs?

Or doesn't "-march=" support additional "certain sets of instructions". What does it do, then?

Stroller.