Mick <michaelkintzios <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I have come across this debilitating affliction which means that I can
> no longer shutdown properly my laptop.  It looks as if the kernel
> crashes when xorg is trying to unload the radeon driver - but I am not
> sure - please see attached pic.

Hello Mick,

I have a similar problem on a workstation. When I use the KDE4 menu
to exit, the system seems to halt, but the mobo is still powered up.
Upon reboot reiserfs fixes itself (hard reset). If I
use "shutdown -h now" all is fine. Otherwise the system is fine.

I just assumed it was a kde4 problem, but, I have not drilled down further
to locate the exact problem source.  Between needing to reduce or eliminate
xorg.conf and evdev, hal , kde4 and new kernels, I've definitely missed the
boat..... as I manage dozens of gentoo boxes.....

Anyway, I'll track it down eventually. Here's my info, in case it
is similar to yours and hopefully helps you find the problem:

kernel: 2.6.28-gentoo-r5

x11-base/xorg-server-1.5.3-r6(20:59:56 05/25/09)((hal
input_devices_evdev input_devices_keyboard input_devices_mouse
input_devices_synaptics nptl sdl video_cards_radeon xorg

and from make.conf:
VIDEO_CARDS="fbdev fglrx vesa"
INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse joystick evdev"

I did switch the system from the radeon driver to
x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.5.9.3

I noticed my "radeon" entry in my xorg-server flags..(problem)...?

I'm not sure my problem is related to your, I hope
posting here helps you solve your problem. Once yours
is solved, it might give me feedback as to where to
begin my search...

HTH,
James