2009/6/2 John <j...@arcticwolf.myzen.co.uk>:
> On Tue, 2 Jun 2009 16:16:09 +0000 (UTC)
> James <wirel...@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> Mick <michaelkintzios <at> gmail.com> writes:
>>

>> > I have come across this debilitating affliction which means that I
>> > can no longer shutdown properly my laptop.  It looks as if the
>> > kernel crashes when xorg is trying to unload the radeon driver -
>> > but I am not sure - please see attached pic.
>>
>> Hello Mick,
>>

>> I have a similar problem on a workstation. When I use the KDE4 menu
>> to exit, the system seems to halt, but the mobo is still powered up.
>> Upon reboot reiserfs fixes itself (hard reset). If I
>> use "shutdown -h now" all is fine. Otherwise the system is fine.
>>

>> I just assumed it was a kde4 problem, but, I have not drilled down
>> further to locate the exact problem source.  Between needing to
>> reduce or eliminate xorg.conf and evdev, hal , kde4 and new kernels,
>> I've definitely missed the boat..... as I manage dozens of gentoo
>> boxes.....
>>
>> Anyway, I'll track it down eventually. Here's my info, in case it
>> is similar to yours and hopefully helps you find the problem:
>>
>> kernel: 2.6.28-gentoo-r5
>>
>> x11-base/xorg-server-1.5.3-r6(20:59:56 05/25/09)((hal
>> input_devices_evdev input_devices_keyboard input_devices_mouse
>> input_devices_synaptics nptl sdl video_cards_radeon xorg
>>
>> and from make.conf:
>> VIDEO_CARDS="fbdev fglrx vesa"
>> INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse joystick evdev"
>>

>> I did switch the system from the radeon driver to
>> x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.5.9.3
>>
>> I noticed my "radeon" entry in my xorg-server flags..(problem)...?
>>
>> I'm not sure my problem is related to your, I hope
>> posting here helps you solve your problem. Once yours
>> is solved, it might give me feedback as to where to
>> begin my search...
>>

>> HTH,
>> James
>>

> Also having a similar issue with xfce4. When using shutdown -h now in
> command line, there is no response from machine. When shutting down
> using xfce4 icon machines returns to login screen. No messages are
> produced in system log other than shutdown.
>
> I use nvidia-drivers on my laptop and have had no problem
> until upgrading to latest kernel 2.6.29-gentoo-r5. Assume I am missing
> something in kernel config but everything else works ok.
>
> Init 0 does nothing either so maybe there is a clue there
>

> John D Maunder
> j...@articwolf.myzen.co.uk

Guys, I'm not sure we have the same problem.  If I exit xorg and go to
a console, then the shutdown command works fine.

My problem seems to be xorg/kernel related.  I suspect IRQ management
by the new kernel and have been squeezing my brain to remember if I
enabled any modules dealing with IRQ, but can't recall.

I haven't yet built a vanilla kernel to compare.
--
Regards,
Mick