I've just completed first part of a fresh install.

Mounted the new root and emerged a few things while still chrooted.

It'd be difficult to list quickly since I can't boot it, but the
highlights are:

eix
genkernel
gentoolkit
gentoolkit-dev
gentoo-sources
grub
lynx
ntp
reiserfsprogs
rsyslog
vim
vixie-cron

And a number of dependancies pulled in from my use flags.

I didn't want to start from scratch dinking around with kernel params
so elected to go the `genkernel all' route, hoping that with that much
junk being compiled... surely I'd get whatever I needed to start the
process of building up this installation.

I realize there are many who have lots of rants against genkernel but
unless you think that is the core of the problem... please hold off on
advice to build my own kenel.

kernel = 2.6.29-r5

What I see on reboot:

Normal booting appears to be going along then moments after dev is
mounted followed by filesystems... a massive screen full of text
begins scrolling by and never stops.

Impossible to read any of the text and neither pause/break or
scroll/lock keys have any effect.

Appears to be a continuous wrapping line repeated.

But it completely kills the boot process, and no further progress is
possible.

I really have no idea what to change when I boot off the install media.