On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 6:48 PM, Harry Putnam<rea...@newsguy.com> wrote:
> Mark Knecht <markkne...@gmail.com> writes:
>
>>> I really have no idea what to change when I boot off the install media.
>>
>> You emerged reiserfsprogs before the machine was up and running. Does
>> this somehow imply that you are trying to boot from a Reiser partition
>> and could that be part of the problem?
>
> Yes, as advised in the quick install guide.  And yes I am booting off
> of a reiserfs and have been doing so for at least 2 yrs.  I haven't
> seen this problem in that time.

I understand, and I'm not suggesting it was the problem. Just asking questions.

Keep in mind that I ran xorg-server with the Intel driver for 4 years
and the recent xorg-server/driver updates totally broke it. I couldn't
wait for a fix (wife's computer - we know who really runs this
place...) so I bought a new cad and moved on.

Is this the same old ReiserFS that you've been running? It's not the
new fangled versions is it?

It sounded like the time your boot goes crazy might be when everything
is getting mounted? Is that about the right time? What do you think
the last message is that's good?

>> Does the machine have a serial port and do you have access to a second
>> machine that you could capture and save the early boot messages? That
>> might be helpful. I know many machine now don't support that. There
>> may be ways to do something similar over the network or USB if the
>> boot gets that far.
>
> No serial port

Yeah, I understand. I wonder what the kernel devs use these days for
this issue? I know with my machine, which has a serial port, I was
able to capture some stuff for Ingo Molnar that helped him out, but I
couldn't do it today on 6 of the 7 machines in my house.

Cheers,
Mark