>>> Did you remove wlan0 from the /etc/conf.d/hostapd file?
>>>

>> No, should I just leave it empty?
>> INTERFACES=""
>>
>> What about /etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf?
>> Do I leave it like this...
>> interface=wlan0
>> ...or remove that line too?
>>

> INTERFACES should at least contain the bridge device. The wired NIC does
> not hurt either.
> In /etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf wlan0 is needed to tell hostapd which
> device it has to initialize, so leave it like this.

Alright, I have done everything you have suggested but when hostapd tries
to start I am getting this error...

penguin ~ # /etc/init.d/hostapd start
* Starting hostapd...
Configuration file: /etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf
Failed to set interface wlan0 to master mode.
nl80211 driver initialization failed.
ELOOP: remaining socket: sock=5 eloop_data=0x80f1a38 user_data=(nil)
handler=0x8091790
* start-stop-daemon: failed to start `/usr/sbin/hostapd'
                               [ !! ]
* ERROR: hostapd failed to start

Do you have any idea why this is happening?